Wednesday, June 6, 2012

All That I Have Been

My favourite game as a kid was to 'be' someone. I've 'been' a lot of people.

I've been the teacher, the doctor and the shop-owner.

And then I was also Maria from The Sound of Music, Aladdin from Aladdin, Stuart from Stuart Little, Babe from Babe and Agent J from M I B. I was Tintin, Bugs Bunny, Harriet the Spy... it goes on.

As a child I spent hours playing these favourite characters, writing the first fanfics in my head. Sometimes I goaded my cousins to play with me, but they never seemed to enjoy it as much as I did. I remember I played Jaws and Jurassic Park, making random people sharks and dinosaurs, without them having the slightest idea about it. Of course, when I screamed at their faces while pseudo-sneaking past them, they were mostly scandalized and at times bewildered.

I still play this game. In my head now, because of the whole behave-like-a-grown-up thing

I wanted to be a pirate because Jack Sparrow was that awesome in Pirates of the Caribbean.

I wanted to be an warrior-princess-cum-ogre like Fiona in Shrek and Po made me realize that Kung Fu is an imperative these days.

I wanted to kill mummies like Rick O'Connell and hunt treasure like Indiana Jones. I wanted to solve cryptic word clues like Robert Langdon and kill demons like the Winchester brothers. I wanted to play the guitar like Slash and sing like Cobain.

I've not achieved even a slice of all this. Probably I never will.

But I have fun playing this game.

No comments:

Post a Comment