Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Just Like That

Yesterday was my 22nd birthday. It passed just like that. Being twenty two doesn't feel any different from being twenty one. I don't feel any older, smarter or stronger. It wasn't a landmark point of my life.

It's funny how such dated days never brought any real significance to me. As for my birthdays, that one day in the year that's all, legitimately and irrevocably mine, they just seem to pass away like every other day. I wouldn't say they pass badly, but if you were to make a graph with a time line of a week before and a few days after, there wouldn't be a hike nor a dip in the line parallel to the Y-axis.

I don't remember having parties for my birthdays. There wasn't cake or candles or friends or food. Neither did many people wish me. I felt happy distributing sweetmeats to classmates in school and that was about it. If there's anything that Facebook has done good, it's its birthday reminder that makes some 99 odd people wish me on my wall.

In comparison to all that, this year 1st October was nice, if not anything else. Some of my friends did call me up at twelve to wish me. My boyfriend sent me a really beautiful e-card and posted a picture of a cake on my wall. We also skyped after ages. It was sweet. My best friend, also known as Methodist of Madness and a number of my hostel mates hugged me and stuff. We watched The Hangover II which probably wasn't a great idea, because that movie is freaky! The morning and afternoon were drab because the university campus was closed due to a Telengana strike. However then we got The Pirates of the Caribbean marathon started and things started to look up. The day ended with "happy birthday" sung by me best friends with two slices of cake and a candle. My other two best friends actually cooked for me! Cheese sandwich and scrambled eggs! No one's ever done that for me! I was overwhelmed.

And I was happy, just like that.

2 comments:

  1. Turning twenty didn't feel any different to me either. Just imagine, we are 22! Sounds so grown up, man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing is, I don't feel very grown up. At least not most of the times. :P

      Delete