Monday, December 5, 2011

o.O DO THEY STILL DO THAT?


Yes, I know I should be studying, but if I don’t write this out, I’ll probably forget about it as I have on countless other occasions.


So, I have Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night as a part of my syllabus for the upcoming exam and I found that the dramatist has left a surprisingly large number of issues to the willing suspension of disbelief on the part of his audience. Like, how can Viola pass of in Duke Orsino’s court as a GUY??? Were they all brainless bimbos in the 16th century? Wouldn’t Viola’s physique give her away? In addition, how can Olivia mistake Sebastian as Cesario (who is Viola in disguise) and how can Antonio marry her on the spot, even if she is vehemently professing her love for him (Olivia actually thinks he is her sister)? Therefore, Viola, disguised as a man, is in love with Orsino, another man, while Olivia is hitting on another woman whom she thinks is a man…towards the end of the play Orsino starts discovering his feelings for his young page, Viola who is in fact for him a boy.


Excuse me, WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?


And oh, at the opening of the play, Orsino was supposed to be wooing Olivia.


Yeah. It is mindless. :P
Do they really look THAT non-differentiable???
But yeah, that diagram as difficult as the play.

2 comments:

  1. ROFL. That is all that I can say! You know even I wondered about that! Don't you think some of Shakespeare's plots are similar to melodramatic hindi movies/serials. Yeah it's true that many bolly movies have been inspired by the bard. Twelfth Night is one of his works that don't really make any sense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of his plays are modern day bolly movies man. and Twelfth Night is absolutely and utterly nonsensical. Why did he even write it?

    ReplyDelete