Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Syllabus and I


long time no see...
I really should be studying, but obviously writing about random stuff entirely unrelated to the syllabus always appealed to me more. And this is what i want to write about today. I won't claim I’m a prolific reader or have read a huge lot, but i do read. Unfortunately, what I read NEVER coincides with my college-prescribed syllabus. And mind you, I’m an English Major, in my final year too. 

Okay, so we had Keats in our syllabus last semester. i should tell you here that I’ve been in love with that man since high school. I read a number of his poems, his sonnets and of course his odes. But by some weird luck, I never came across Ode to a Grecian Urn which was to be taught. 
Again, sometime in my freshman year, we had a Jane Austen novel: Pride and Prejudice. i had read Mansfield Park and Sense and Sensibility but not Pride and Prejudice.
When we did Hardy, i had finished Far From the Madding Crowd but not The Return of the Native.
See what I mean? It can be a bit frustrating after a while.
And in my next and final semester, we have Frost and Eliot along with a few others and I’m pretty sure the poem we will be doing from either Frost or Eliot will neither be After Apple Picking, nor The Love Song of Arthur J. Prufrock.
I think it’s the syllabus’ way of taking revenge. It must have realized by now (heck, I’ve been going at this for almost 16 years of my 21 year old life!) that this disregard and disrespect is mutual. I never cared much about school/college work. And they don’t care about me. Yay! I feel good!
What can I say? Just my luck… ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment